Sunday, August 3, 2014

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2014)


Genre: Science Fiction/Adventure
Running Length: 2:02
Cast:Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel (voice), Bradley Cooper (voice), Lee Pace, Karen Gillan, Michael Rooker, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin
Director: James Gunn

I was so looking forward to GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and really wanted to enjoy this film – it seems to be a fun movie, has quirky characters, looks visually good but most of all, I was extremely curious to know more about this non-"household name" group of superheroes from the Marvel universe. But it's over-frenetic and not as witty as I imagined it to be. The CGI was over powering. And the plot involves some all-powerful orb which everybody wants is riddled with inconsistencies and a tad bloated. Thankfully, the characters develop a nice rapport and the '70s and '80s songs used was a nice touch. Speaking of characters, the cast is well chosen except the main baddie (Ronan played by Lee Pace) who isn't as nasty as I wished him to be. However, Josh Brolin's interpretation of Thanos (who makes a short appearance here) made me wish that he, instead of Ronan, had been the main villain. And finally the resolution; some may argue that it's anti-climatic and corny but I thought that was genuinely the funniest (and smartest) scene in the movie. (It reminded me of the same kind of irreverent humour used in Stephen Chow's Out Of The Dark climatic scene. Sue me...I'm corny)

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment