Saturday, March 3, 2018

GAME NIGHT (Malaysia, 01 Mar 2018)


Genre: Comedy
Running Length: 1:40
Cast: Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams, Kyle Chandler, Sharon Horgan, Billy Magnussen, Lamorne Morris, Kylie Bunbury, Jesse Plemons
Director: John Francis Daley, Jonathan Goldstein
Screenplay: Mark Perez

If you have not watched the trailer for GAME NIGHT - DON'T! Because some of the best bits were revealed in the trailer and it kinda ruined my experience when I watched the movie: "Oh, I know what's going to happen next." (So, I've decided not to include the trailer here in the usual spot)

What's this movie about?
A group of friends who regularly meets for game nights (charades, monopoly, RISK etc) decides to participate in a "real-life" solve a murder mystery game one day. But little did they know, it's not a game they are playing, or are they? This may sound like a thriller horror movie, but it's not. It's a comedy and it's funny.

What I like about it?
  • It kept me guessing throughout the movie whether it's a game or not. And the clever twists works. 
  • The comedy! There is a variety of comedy type genre here; from LOL cringe-inducing moments to clever pop culture references. For movie geeks, you'll love the many references.
  • I got to know the main characters and their relationships better throughout the course of the "game". That's a nice way of revealing who these people are. 
  • Some stylish camera work. 
  • Rachel McAdams. I didn't know she could do comedy. Yeah, there were some scenes which she was overacting but overall, she is as good as Jason Bateman. 
  • Jesse Plemons. Period. 


What I didn't like?
  • The comedy is a little uneven at times and it does go on a bit too much. 

RATING: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment