Wednesday, April 3, 2019

SHAZAM!


Release Date: Malaysia, 04 Apr 2019
Genre: Action / Adventure
Running Length: 2:12
Cast: Zachary Levi, Asher Angel, Jack Dylan Grazer, Mark Strong, Djimon Hounsou
Director: David F. Sandberg
Screenplay: Henry Gayden

Note to self: I should avoid reading reviews before watching a movie. 

When I read that SHAZAM! is a "mash-up of Superman and Big", naturally I had high expectations. You see, when I caught Big yeaaaars ago, I instantly fell in love with that Tom Hanks movie. I remember it being funny but yet has a lot of heart.

Unfortunately Shazam! didn't live up to my expectations. I blame myself for having a benchmark. 

To be fair, it IS a funny movie. And there are several noteworthy emotional scenes too. But the problem I had is the uneven tonal shift between comedy, action and the tender scenes. As a result, I wasn't sure what emotional reaction was the filmmakers aiming for. For me, it gave me a lukewarm experience.

(The best superhero movie to-date that managed to perfectly blend comedy and action but yet still has a strong emotional core is Thor: Ragnarok

"By the power of ..."

Plot wise, it's about an ancient wizard who chose teenager Billy Batson (Angel) and bestowed him with superpowers. All Billy has to do is to say "Shazam!" and BOOMZ, Billy transforms into an adult superhero. 

Whenever there is a superhero, there will always be a super villain. Eventhough our baddie Doctor Sivana (Strong) has a backstory of how he became our chief villain, he was a little generic and unforgettable for me. Perhaps it's the familiar casting of Mark Strong. 

Also, I found the movie a little draggy at times.

However, what I really do like about the movie is the quieter moments especially the scenes between Billy/Shazam and his foster family brother, Freddy. There are several memorable scenes whenever the two get together; such as the "super powers test" and the running gag of naming Billy's alter ego (Thundercrack XD)

Not Coke

As for the casting of Zachary Levi as our main hero, he is a PERFECT choice. He is believable as the kid in a grown-up superhero body. Levi has just the right amount of heroic charisma coupled with the awkwardness of a teenager. 

There are many DCEU references here too; Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. In fact, this movie is much more connected to the DCEU compared to Wonder Woman or the recent Aquaman. It's definitely a nice touch. 

All in all, Shazam! needs a tighter edit and a better script. That said, this movie represents another step forward for DC movies and I firmly believe they should just stick to creating standalone movies and not try to build towards a Justice League type of movie.

p/s: There are two 2 post credit scenes, one in the middle and the other right at the end. 


RATING: 6.5/10
   

No comments:

Post a Comment