Thursday, December 26, 2019

FROZEN II


Release Date: Malaysia, 21 Nov 2019
Genre: Animation
Running Length: 1:43
Cast (voices): Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad, Jonathan Groff, Sterling K. Brown, Evan Rachel Wood
Director: Jennifer Lee, Chris Buck
Screenplay: Jennifer Lee

As I am preparing to review FROZEN II, the only thing that is repeatedly pounding my head right now is:

"Into the unknown, into the UNKNOWN, into the UNKNOOOoooOOoooWN. Ahh Ahh Ahh Ahhhh~"

Several years have passed since the incidents from the first movie. Elsa (Menzel) is the ruler of Arendelle. However, there is an unknown voice calling her to leave Arendelle for the mysterious enchanted forest in order to save her kingdom from an unknown threat. Yes, I am aware there are two "unknowns" in one sentence. And so, Elsa and her sister Anna (Bell), Anna's boyfriend Kristoff (Groff), Sven the moose and Olaf (Gad) leave Arendelle and set out to travel to this mysterious forest to make things alright again.


There is just something about excessive singing in an animation that will bore me to tears. I never grew to like it. Probably that's why I've never really developed a liking for the performing/theatre arts. That was probably why I couldn't connect with Frozen when it first came out in 2013.

Hence after impacting a whole generation of kids with "Let It Go" and all things Frozen, I was very hesitant to watch the sequel. But I braved myself and decided to step into the unknooooown to check it out anyway. 

Let's get the songs out of the way first, shall we? Musically, the songs here are not as "catchy" compared to the first one but the one song that really stood out for me was, yep, "Into The Unknown" (personally, I prefer Panic! At the Disco's version compared to Menzel's). Overall, there is a certain 'Broadway' feel to the list of songs here. Not sure if it's because the characters in the movie delivered them with gusto or it's the composition or just both.

As for the plot, I must say I'm glad the filmmakers didn't rehash it from the first movie. The themes explored here are more mature. However, that doesn't mean it's better as it's not as focused as the first one. There are themes of politics, save the environment, growing up and a handful more. It's a bit of a mess, really. 


Visually, it does move the bar, if only by a little (I'm comparing to the recent animations and not the first Frozen). Some scenes are beautiful to watch as it's photo-realistic but still maintain the animated touch. The scene where Elsa ran towards the dark and stormy ocean, coupled with the heart pounding soundtrack, is a sight to behold. 

All in all, I'm glad Frozen II is not a cash grab and the writers took time to extend the arc of some of these characters and expand the Frozen universe. Oh, and Olaf provides just enough comic-relief here to be not irritating.

RATING: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment