Wednesday, December 25, 2019

KAUSERN MOVIE REVIEWS: TOP 10 MOVIES OF 2019


I must say the quality of movies from the 2nd half of the 2019 is so much better than the 1st half. In fact, I gave more 9s this year compared to 2018.

I watched the least number of movies in the cinema this year compared to the last 5 years. Blame it on office work and Netfix (I also started to review more Netflix released movies).

Before we get into the Top 10, let me first list down two (dis)honourable movies of the year.

The most un-enjoyable movie of 2019: John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
I told myself I will never catch John Wick 2 because I didn’t enjoy the first movie. But I did. And I regretted my decision. So, when the 3rd one came out, I wanted to be sure if it was really me (as the majority of people were raving about the 3rd movie from the franchise). I caught it and...it's definitely me. I'm the problem. John Wick: Chapter 4? No, thank you. I rather watch paint dry.     

The most disappointing movie of 2019: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
Breaking Bad is the most complete and perfect series I've watched, bar none. And its spin off Better Call Saul, despite its inconsistencies, is still one of the more watchable series on TV. So when they announced there IS GOING TO BE A BREAKING BAD movie after all, I hyperventilated for weeks leading to the release of the "movie event" on Netflix. Bitch! What a letdown it was. They should have just ended at Jesse Pinkman driving away to his freedom in the El Camino at the end of Breaking Bad. 

Ok, now that I've put all that aside, let's get on with it, shall we? (Click on the titles to open up the full review)

#10 PARASITE
A rare and bizarre movie but yet very accessible to a global audience; with elements of dark comedy, drama and thriller.

#9 TOY STORY 4
The themes explored here are beautifully bleak; what does it mean to be unlovable and losing one's purpose. And because I care for these characters, the heart-wrenching conclusion ripped me to shreds.

The most surprising movie of 2019 for me! I was prepared to be pounded silly by the CGI and mindless action scenes but boy, was I BLOWN AWAY! It's thrilling, violent and bizarre at the same time.

#7 MARRIAGE STORY
This movie is about the exploration of marriage; the happier days and the end it. It's humourous, honest and heartbreaking.

#6 THE TWO POPES
This is such a fascinating movie as it demystifies these divine men as mere mortals, and surprisingly, it made me reflect my relationship with God and who I am as a human being.  I was expecting this movie to be dry and talky-talky. Yes, it's talky-talky but it's absolutely not boring.

#5 KNIVES OUT
The ensemble cast of calibre actors here are playing against type and they are on-point. I was glued to what's unfolding in front of me because of its sharp dialogue. Knives Out is one of the most entertaining, smart and enjoyable films I've seen this year!

#4 AD ASTRA
This is the most visually beautiful movie of the year for me. What I really enjoyed about this film is the use of space exploration as a canvas to look inward at the very core of our humanity - what does it mean to live and to love? Ad Astra was a meditative and healing experience for me.

The most feel-good movie of the year for me! A solid blockbuster driven by friendship, passion for the craft and human drama.

Although not as "shock-to-the-system" impactful as Infinity War, this movie still carries an emotional punch to the gut. In fact, I was "punched" a few times. A super satisfying ending for me that has the right balance of closure and setup for future installments for some characters.

And the #1 movie of 2019 is
.
.
.
.
.
#1 JOKER
The very fact that I was still thinking about this movie long after the curtain fell says something about this film. (The theme of mental health from this movie was further covered by my creative partner and I on our podcast The Stories We Tell Ourselves)
              
"Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?"


And that's a wrap for 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment