Monday, September 16, 2019

TV Review: MINDHUNTER (SEASON 2)


Release Date: Now streaming on Netflix (Malaysia)
Genre: Crime / Drama / Thriller
No. of Episodes: 9
Cast: Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany, Anna Torv, Albert Jones, Lauren Glazier, Stacey Roca, Michael Cerveris
Series created by: Joe Penhall

When MINDHUNTER first came out almost 2 years ago on Netflix, I was completely captivated by it. It showed the power of dialogue done right. I was genuinely creep out by the interviews between our two FBI protagonist (Groff and McCallany) and the serial killers. This video explained it best

So when the second season recently came out, I was stoked. So, is season 2 better than the first one?


But before I give my review, for those who have yet to watch Season 1, here's what this crime series is all about. Set in the late 1970s, two FBI agents are tasked with interviewing serial killers to determine patterns on why they did what they did. By profiling them, such behavioral research will be used to solve open cases.

Season 2 picked up immediately from the ending of Season 1. Some of the infamous serial murderers who appeared in this season include: Son of Sam, Charles Manson, Tex Watson, Paul "Bag Murderer" Bateson, BTK and Wayne Williams.


I found this season not as gripping as Season 1. Perhaps I was expecting more of those chilling interviews to understand deeper what was going on in the minds of the criminals. But this season instead chose to tackle an ongoing case, the politics and bureaucracy of the justice system and the personal drama of some of the characters.

If there is one thing I learned about a profile pattern from this season is the need to control. Also, this season competently explores the question of, "Are serial killers born or made?" through a family tragedy.

All in all, I'm still invested in this series and I can't wait for Season 3!

RATING: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment